Re: [RC] bermuda hay and impactions - rdcarrie

The research I found was conducted in the SE US, which would be more typical of Texas hay, and used the coastal bermuda like we feed.  Even though the research did document a somewhat-increased risk with bermuda, I still don't see a reason to not feed it...especially if the alternative is something costing $22/bale.  It's just one of those things to keep in the back of one's mind.  Given the huge number of horses that eat bermuda every day of their lives with no problem, I'm not going to panic.

Dawn

-----Original Message-----
From: jonnij@xxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 3:37 PM
Subject: [RC] bermuda hay and impactions

There are different types of Bermuda hay. I was told that some of it out west, is cut when it is much shorter, and thus, they horses can get "balls" of it down without chewing it as well. Kind of like never feeding lawn clippings, as it is so short and can clump. But, not sure if what I was told is gospel or not.  We feed coastal Bermuda here in TX when we have enough rain to grow some. But this year we feed what ever we can find and afford.......
Jonni