[RC] balking horse??? - catherine demick

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker here but have run into an issue I'm hoping some of you experienced riders/trainers can help with. My arab/app hopeful endurance prospect, who has so far done 1 25 mile ctr this season as a late 6 yrs. old and who just turned 7 in August,has all of a sudden decided work is too hard. Mind you, I do NOT work this horse into the ground by any means. An average good week is 1x 45 mins. in dressage ring, 1x 20 min lunging with side reins and 1-2x on trail anywhere from 5-15 miles this year. He was brought along slowly and correctly. He wasn't easy as a 4 yr. old but has been pretty much a very good boy for 2 yrs. He started getting balky in the ring this spring just a little but fine on trail, we did the 25 mile ctr in Vermont with his buddy and took our time, he was great. In July we went camping to the Adirondacks and he was very quiet, but sometimes stopped on trail for no reason and I'd have to kick the heck out of him to get him going again. So far in August I had 2 excellent rides on him 1 in ring and 1 on trail and then in the last 2 weeks he has decided he can't go out on trail alone or in company, balks, rears, throws himself backwrads and then when I bring him back to the ring he will pull some of that crap to a lesser degree for 10-15 mins. until I walk him calmy and quietly, get after him to go forward and then we can have a reasonable ride. I am 99% convinced this is a behavior issue as I have had saddle checked, blah blah and he's even getting balky about being led where he'd rather not go....I believe this to be a behavior phase he's going through because he has gotten away with some more subtle signs I didn't see for what they were at time bit hindsight is 22/20. Any advice on where to go from here. This horse has had quite alot of professional training in the past and I take regular lessons. I am a seasoned ctr competitor with over 2000 ectra miles....one who needs advil only now and then, but boy there better be cold beer waiting for me after I'm done riding!!!!! Thanks for any suggestions.