[RC] Fwd: Switching from green grass to hay before a ride - Tammy Shuck

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi, I usually keep my horse on a dry lot and feed grassy alfalfa during the ride season but we had a lameness problem at the last ride so I turned him out with his girlfriends on a nice big green pasture for some well deserved R&R. He has seen the vet and chiro and both have given the go ahead to start competing again. I have been doing some training rides and I think we are ready to try a ride on the 26th. My question is about switching his diet from the pasture back to grass hay. Is there anybody out there who keeps there endurance horses on pasture yr round? It seems like such a waste of a good nutritious food source to pull him and feed him hay. Is there a big colic risk to switch from grass which is mostly water to a dry feed.
 Once again I would love some in put.
Thanks,
Tammy

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.
Check it out.
--- End Message ---