[RC] the drug discussion - Jennifer Adam

I just have to share with you all how happy this discussion has made my mom... She is 53 years old and in 2003 she was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer - it had spread to her lymph nodes and she was a mess. Several surgeries later, and after 8 months of chemo therapy, she is now *hopefully* cancer free. Unfortunately, the chemo compromised her immune system and she developed a fairly rare disorder that causes her body to form painful cysts in her lungs, liver, joints, and other tissues. She had always dreamed of having her own horse, but she and my dad have always lived in big city suburbs and it just wasn't practical. She always said that "someday" she would buy a horse. I started to fear that her someday might never come - so this past Mother's Day my dad and I bought her a horse. Her very first horse. When she climbed on that big black gentle gaited mare for the first time - I cried like a baby. My mom's face literally glowed. The first few weeks she came to my farm fairly regularly to ride - and then one day she said she just wanted to brush Maisy. She didn't feel like riding. I became concerned and pressured her to tell me what was wrong. She confessed that riding made her body ache and she felt too guilty to take pain pills "just to climb on a horse." She said that she was afraid she was just too old and broken to ride, and then she burst into tears. I tried to tell her that taking her meds was nothing to feel guilty about, but I don't think she really believed me. So, I sent her some of your posts on this discussion. She just called me and I could hear the smile in her voice - she is so glad that she isn't the only one "who wants to ride even with a less than limber body." She's coming over tomorrow and we're going to ride together. Yes, she will need to take a prescription anti-inflammatory pain pill before, during, and after the ride. Will it enhance her "performance?" Not likely! But it will enhance her pleasure - which is why we ride in the first place.

Jen Adam