Re: [RC] Rider Drugs - Diane Trefethen

Kat's post brings up some interesting points.

1) Kat is trying to get us to separate our responsibility FOR our horse from our partnership WITH our horse. Endurance is a sport where a team of two individuals compete against other teams and the first team to finish gets a prize and therefore it is incontrovertible that any drug that improves the performance of either member of the team IS "performance enhancing". Now what we choose to do with that fact, how we choose to allow or disallow the drugging of either team member, is on the table and up for discussion. However, the fact that any drug that kills pain improves either team member's performance is NOT.

2) Many have noted that riders take pain relievers so that they can ride better and thus interfere less with their horses. By riding better, they maintain, they are acting in their horses' best interest by not cruelly subjecting the horses to pain that can be caused by imbalance, pounding on the saddle, etc. This is a reason why you might decide that riders taking drugs is acceptable but it does NOT alter the fact that the team's performance is enhanced by such drugging. It is interesting to note that other posters have exactly the OPPOSITE take, ie, taking drugs can impair your mental functioning and thereby place your horse at greater risk.
As we and our horses age, we start to degrade physically. In order to participate in an activity that we love, we often must take pain killers or give up the activity. Most of us take the pain killers. However, with respect to our horses, they can't say, "You know... I really want to get out there and do a 50 miler, you know, beat the crap outta them other ponies. So give me some bute and let's go!" And frankly, I doubt most would say that if they COULD talk :) So until we can figure a way to communicate with them on this issue, we MUST protect them from any injuries that might result from giving them pain killers. However, that doesn't mean we humans can't choose to risk injury when WE really want to play.

3) Kat's comparison of MLB players to endurance riders is flawed in that any set of rules designed for a professional must necessarily differ from the rules governing a non-professional. Cops must identify themselves and warn a criminal that they have a gun. I am not required to render those courtesies to a stranger in my house. In many jurisdictions doctors can be sued if they make a mistake but I can't if I'm the only thing between a critically injured person and that person's survival. The rules governing drugs in professional sports do not exist to protect the drug-taking athlete. They exist to protect the athletes who do not take drugs. The sport is a livelihood and because some drugs can make a player stronger and thereby more likely to win a position on a team, the person who loses to that person loses his livelihood, not to a better player but to a drug.

4) Distance riding is a non-professional sport. We wouldn't dream of forbidding a 25 year old man from taking Aleve so he could participate in a Class B softball league. We wouldn't even deny him prescription drugs for his arthritis. Do these chemicals enhance his performance? Of course, since without them he wouldn't be able to play at all. How about if his team wins the league and goes on to a regional competition? Still the drugs would be allowed.
In a non-professional venue there are two considerations. First, the freedom to participate does not depend on one's ability. Yes, in say softball, you have levels, Class A, Class B and so forth, but those are levels to guide the PLAYER into choosing a league where he can play comfortably, competitively but not be totally overwhelmed. Similarly, in distance riding we have levels, not to bar riders from doing 25's or 100's, just so that riders can choose the level of participation with which they are most comfortable. Second, it makes no sense to outlaw drugs for a player when those drugs do no more than permit that person to function at a level most of us would consider normal. The drugs, in these cases, are much the same as prosthetics or braces. With them, these individuals can play. Without them, they can only watch from the sidelines.

5) Kat said, "Personally, I don't understand it. But that is probably because I have never had to drug myself to get through an endurance ride". Ahh.... and here is the crux of Kat's misapprehensions. She hasn't reached the point in her life when after getting out of bed in the morning, she must hobble for 10 or 20 minutes till she gets "warmed up". She doesn't know how it feels to need a mounting block because without it she could not get up on her horse - AT ALL. Anyone who does have these experiences regularly knows full well the incredible relief from pain that accompanies the consumption of an analgesic and NONE of us would want to be barred from distance riding because, for want of a better phrase, we got old.