[RC] Drugs and Riding - Bruce Weary DC

As yet we have no rules regarding medications and the rider, but I will suggest that this isn't as simple an issue as some folk's fervent posts indicate. There are risks to the kidneys, liver, GI tract and other tissues with the abuse of NSAIDS. There is no appreciable mental impairment from them. Tylenol, however, has become the favorite suicide drug in England. Large doses, combined with a significant amount of alcohol, and it's "lights out."
Some have taken exception to being impaired when riding, and that is certainly an honorable objection, if only because of the added risk to the horse. But, I think the rare case of medication- induced rider impairment is dwarfed by the incidence of other physical impairments that riders go down the trail with. Poor eyesight, poor balance/equitation that may have a physical cause, bad knees and hips that are sluggish and don't allow for good reaction time. An impaired rider might be more prone to riding a horse down a steep trail that would be safer to dismount and lead down, but their disability causes them to stay in the saddle. Deconditioning as well as arthritic shoulders, hands and wrists may make it more difficult to control an energetic horse either while mounted or on the ground, possibly with resulting escape and injury to the horse. In some cases, meds might actually make a person safer and better able to handle their horse.
It's a complicated issue, and, at this point a personal choice. I, myself, have strict personal rules about alcohol, for example. I will only have a beer when I am alone or with someone. I have to draw the line somewhere. Dr Q, who advises you to never drink and ride. The cute little umbrella might fall out of your Mai-Tai................