Re: [RC] broken bones and riding, probably only endurance riders would or t... - RDCARRIE

I don't know that we're "tough" so much as just stubborn.  LOL  My orthopedic surgeon says that I'm the toughest woman he's ever seen, and I always replay that I'm obviously his only endurance rider patient, because I'm not unique.  Of course, I also hate to give in and go to the doctor...when I broke my elbow (our paso mare knocked me down as I was out catching my horse to go ride) I went ahead and rode 16 miles anyhow.  And I did 2 more conditioning rides in the next week.  Finally went to see my ortho after 8 days, when my elbow just kept killin' me, and found out it was broken.  He chewed me out good for that one.  :-p

 I've still got a hard lump in my left buttock from a big hemotoma I got in 1999 when my mare dumped me on a hard dirt clod.  Dr. wanted to operate and drain it, but it would have meant me missing a ride, so I declined.  I really don't like surgery anyhow.  Have had to give in and have three shoulder surgeries over the past six years...hope that's all.

The one injury that did put a crimp in my riding some was a broken rib this past winter, compliments of my 5 yr old gelding...now that one really hurt.  Could only do short rides for a month or two.

Dawn in East Texas (who doesn't want any more broken ribs, please)