RE: [RC] Rider Drugs - Paul Sidio

Dawn,

Would I make up something about such a serious subject?:)  There are some things that you just don't joke about:)

Look up the Rules of the Western States Trail Ride.
See the section on Ride Medication Policies. (Page 6)  See the section called Prohibited Substances (i.e.,  not allowed during competition)

Read the sixth bullet item
Stimulants-including caffeine and chocolate.

No wonder they didn't have a waiting list this year. No wonder they had less than a 50% completion rate.. ... 20 minute delay at a  small ditch?  At that time of the morning with no caffeine, they are lucky it didn't take 2 hours....Heck, they are lucky nobody killed somebody there. I have had to deal with caffeine deprived women and men under stress, and it ain't pretty! Forget  all the talk about the new section of longer single track trail  causing the overtimes. It must have been caffeine deprivation. People dozing off on their horses..

Now some may think this rule only applies to the horse, but I don't see where it specifically says that. There  is a general header at the top of the page that says ..."does not allow the use of medications or substances that alter or potentially alter the natural performance of endurance horses in any manner"....  If I don't get my caffeine and some chocolate, I guarrentee my horses performance will be different. ....

Of course I could be mistaken about this :)   But Dawn, wouldn't you hate to ride all the way to Auburn and there at the finish line pull out a melted Snickers bar and get DQ'd?  It's not worth it.. Don't take that chance.  Just Say No... to chocolate. Don't throw it away (unless it has coconut in it)....Let me dispose of it for you....  I have a safe place to keep it:)

Paul (whose office used to be three doors away from a Russell Stover Outlet Shop. They hid the free sample boxes when they saw us coming) Sidio
Spokane MO