[RC] about sheepskins - Diane Day

Yes - it really was about 3 dollars - plus shipping which wasnt very much either. I think I saw it on the Australian stock saddle website and took a chance.  (I think also that it was suggested from someone on this list!)   I am no expert in doing this so don't be thinking I know what I am doing!  - I just took a large piece and cut it to the shape of my saddle - which is a specialized saddle too, Carla,  - mine has the bucking rolls attached in front.  Having those is what kept me from buying a pre- made skin because I didnt know how  one would attach it around those deals.  So when I cut the piece, I cut it so it would fit to lie just before those rolls. I then took elastic and sewed it to the edges where one strap could hook over the cantle and two could hook under each seat flap.  For the area around the pommel, I attached velcro on the sheepskin underneath so that the elastic came thru that hole then up over it to attach underneath again.  ( I used two lengths of elastic to go round on either side of the pommel to keep it balanced which kept it more securely set)   Ranelle wrote about sewing it together to ensure a smooth seam - but with how I did it, there was no seam.  I think though the wool is thick enough that if you did have to sew a seam, it wouldnt be felt, but I dont know for sure.   I dont know if this helps anyone, but I do suggest just getting some wool and playing with it. If I was able to concoct this design, most others could do as good or better a job of it!
Diane

Checked by AVG Free Edition.