Re: [RC] Seeking childs western saddle - Marlene Moss

Angie wrote:

One of the best tricks I learned was how to fix it where the

pony couldn't yank the reins and put his head down to graze...major

problem for the tiny kids.  Take a heavy string or hay rope, tie it to

the bit, go up through the browband, and back to the saddle”

In England they call that a grass rein.  I have found myself giving riding lessons because there is no one in my area who wants to deal with beginner kids.  So I ordered a few books to help me get creative as well as improve communications for different types of learners.  One was a book on teaching kids, written in England.  Sounds like they all start with ponies, use either designed or cobbled grass reins, a neck strap and soon have the kids cantering all over the place.  Interesting book although it didn’t much relate to my specific teaching circumstances.

And to make this endurance related, I have 2 eight year old students that just “graduated” to their first trail ride.  They are both chomping at the bit to do their first endurance ride, which I told them I’d arrange when they are 10.  Their parents are thrilled that I’ve gotten them excited about something other than the show world!  And I’ve got their parents and grandparents interested in learning and doing their first rides too!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com