Re: [RC] Endurance Ride stories & juniors - Chris Paus

Barbara,

I think you're right and not because their disability is shameful, but because people who accomplish something like this generally are very focused and humble. I was a newspaper reporter for years and years and had to interview a lot of people, some of whom we'd call heroes. I learned that the true heroes are very modest about what they have done. They really don't want to bring a lot of attention to themselves and they don't see themselves as heroic.

I think it might be the same for the "heroes" of our sport. They just want to get out there and do the best they can with the bodies they've got. If they can inspire someone else to do it, that's great, but their motive isn't to shine a spotlight on themselves.

I'm inspired by a local rider here who rides with severe rheumatoid arthritis. Many people in her position would be bed ridden, yet she gets out and rides and competes and does very well. She allowed me to write a story about her only to help other people understand that they can overcome difficulties and still ride. But she was not seeking any kind of atta girls. She gave a lot of credit to her husband and her best friend who help her. One of her biggest concerns about me writing the story was she wanted to make sure those people got the spotlight too.

chris
Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know riders who are competing with varying degrees of handicaps, but I question whether they would want to advertise them to the world.  Not that any one of them are shameful, but most riders I know prefer not to remark about the handicaps under which they ride.  If I am wrong about that, then let those riders come forward.

Barbara

Do you Yahoo!?