Re: [RC] Seeking childs western saddle - JANUSTUDIO

It is a problem for sure...

I got one of those cheap synthetic saddles with a handle on the front for my grand children to use on the tiny pony.  Poor pony had to be cinched up very tight to keep it from rolling and it bridged.
Got a child's western saddle next.  Same thing, had to cinch tight, and it bridged on the pony and the Arab gelding, but it did work when I placed it behind his shoulders.
Then I bought an Australian saddle, with a small seat size. Replaced the 'leathers' with webbers and caged stirrups. Had to cut off the bottom flap so it didn't rub the horses lower shoulder as he moved...  Really hate the rigging, but my almost 10 year old granddaughter really loves it!  So, I put up the rigging.  It is made more for a narrow backed horse, but doesn't seem to bother her wide backed Arab.  She feels, and is, very secure in it.
  I even tried an old Calvary saddle and she seemed to like it, but boy are they hard, and I didn't like the way the 'tree' seemed to be cutting into his back. Those too are made for a narrow horse.
If I could afford it, I would get a used OF too. I have two of them, but both too large for her.
Good luck!

Jan