Re: [RC] seeking childs western saddle - Maryanne Gabbani

While I don't usually do riding lessons for kids BECAUSE I don't have a saddle that fits them, I do have a huge herd of neighbourhood kids that come around begging to ride the horses. I have one gelding in particular who is brilliant on a longe line, so I use a Toklat bareback pad on him. It's furry and not slippery and it has a handle at the front that they can grab on to. When the kids complain that they want a saddle, I just tell them that if they can ride with the bareback pad, they can REALLY ride. So far it's worked great.

Maryanne
thanking the insurance gods that "liability" doesn't translate into Arabic

On Aug 12, 2006, at 7:21 PM, SHEILA A WALSH wrote:

Hey Peggy,
?
Falling off isn't always a bad thing for a kid.? It teaches them some respect for the activity and teaches them to get over their fear, if you put them right back on - like within the minute.?
?
As for a saddle, I agree with Angie on this one.? I didn't have a saddle, when I was a little kid.? We rode bareback all the time.? I had one wicked spill, but I really learned how to balance and our gelding seemed to prefer us bareback (probably putting any old saddle on him wasn't very nice).?
?
jmho
?
Cool to have a grandkid riding.? ;o)
?
Sheila
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 10:09 PM
Subject: [RC] seeking childs western saddle

Hello out there,
We have a 5 yr old grand daughter who recently fell off her horse (it was an English saddle), so we are now hunting for a 12" western child,s saddle (with a horn she can hang on to!)
that will fit a quarter horse.
Does anyone out there have one for sale?
Thanks!
Bob and Peggy Eaton
Carmel Valley, CA