[RC] Bareback - was child's saddle - Karen Everhart

My Grandpa did me the biggest favor - though I didn't know it at the time: He refused to allow any of the kids to use a saddle until we could stick like glue to the horse. Well, many falls later, most of the grandkids moved on to other activities; hunting, tractor driving, etc. Those who stuck with learning to ride without benefit if the saddle were eventually rewarded. It gave me the greatest seat. Wish I would have continued to ride sans saddle. Now, too many years later, I can ride at a trot, with no significant changes of direction, but that darn glue lost its stickiness and I don't bounce as well.

I teach ALL my students, children and adults alike, to ride bareback 1st. They never use a saddle for a number of lessons. Boy have I ticked off some students initially. But, it does wonders for their confidence, balance and trust. Wouldn't do it any other way. Now, I don't expect them to be able to ride at speeds of more than a walk as the development of a good bareback seat takes quite a bit of time, but even waiting until they can direct their horse at a walk without depending upon the stirrups is a huge improvement for every student I have had. They also have to ride their horse in a rope halter to avoid the inevitable balancing issues from ending up in the horse's mouth.

Karen Everhart MEd. President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc. email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I made them ride a year bareback before allowing a saddle.