[RC] Do words matter? - Karen Williams

I suppose we should still be riding in blue jeans, western saddles and cowboy boots!

I'd like something clarified. Sometimes I ride LD and sometimes I ride 50's. I do a lot of conditioning at a local park and when people see my strange and colorful tack, they ask what kind of riding I do. I'm now in a quandry as to what to tell them. I usually say "endurance" (which usually makes them back off with looks of horror on their faces.) But now I'm confused. Am I an LD rider? Am I an endurance rider? Does my most recent ride dictate my status as a rider?

I have to say, I don't think I've ever heard the term "LD" used in a conversation except here on ridecamp. At rides when I've asked people are what distance they are doing, they usually respond with 25 or 30 or 50 or 100. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone say they were doing the LD. Plus I've never found anyone in the general weekend riding public who knows what LD is ... they all know what endurance is.

Why did AERC start doing other distances than 100 miles? Probably to draw in more riders. So you draw us in and then insult us when we don't step up and do "real endurance" which, obviously, are 100-mile rides.

I've only been in this sport a short time. Fortunately I didn't start reading ridecamp until AFTER a few rides (LD's in case anyone is interested), otherwise I would have been less ignorant about this prejedice against LD riders, and less apt to walk up and talk to people who seemed to know what they were doing so I could pepper them with questions.

Karen Williams Spotsylvania, VA www.mattariver.com (back to lurking)