Re: [RC] call it Endurance? - Patricia Israelson

wouldn't it be in the interest of our sport to show the largest possible number of people involved in it under a common banner?

Pauline

From: "Steph Teeter" <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   call it Endurance?

The rest of the world calls all of the distances Endurance. The distances
are all part of the sport of Endurance Riding.

Well said, I agree with you Pauline and Steph.  "Endurance" riders come in several levels:   LD, 50's and 100's.  There are 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 50, 75 mile rides, and "elevator" rides to give the rider the option of going further if they feel that they and their horse are up to it.  They are all covered in "Endurance News" magazine which publishes the results of all levels of "Endurance" rides.  I have completed a 50 mile ride and therefore I guess according to some purists I am considered to be an "official"  "Endurance" rider.  I am not a "Competitive Trail", "Western Pleasure", "Hunt Seat", "Dressage" or any other type of an equestrian sport competitor.  My 9 year old granddaughter Jordan considers herself to be an "Endurance" rider also, even though up until now she has been competing in the "LD" ride level.  We both abide by the rules set forth by the AERC.  Jordan will compete in her first 50 mile ride next month, moving up to a higher level in "Endurance" competition, and hopefully she will be doing 100's with me next year too.  I agree with the statements made by several others on Ride Camp that she will appreciate the challenge of completing in 50's and 100's when she rides and finishes at those levels; but for now, we are competing in the sport of "Endurance" and are endurance riders....and our horses are "Endurance" horses too.

Patty & Jordan Israelson