[RC] Weight Divisions - Bruce Weary

Sorry, can't leave this one alone--
I have a hard time understanding why people think horses are somehow magically exempt from the laws of physics, when it comes to carrying weight. Why is a standard minimum weight often 165 lbs for some bigger rides? Could it be because anyone carrying less than that has an advantage? Just think how relieved hikers will be to know that they can carry 20,30, 50 or more pounds extra in their packs and they won't feel a difference as they hike the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada! Heck, throw in the console television!
I have never seen or heard a heavyweight make this argument that weight doesn't make a difference. I have, oddly enough, heard and seen it many times coming from lightweight riders who bemoan the fact that a heavyweight may have snatched a BC from them occasionally, at least in part due to points given for weight carried. A 210 man would have to work very hard to prevail over a field of 160 lb runners in a marathon. And don't forget, a heavyweight rider is usually riding a heavier horse, as well. My total package goin' down the trail (horse,rider, and tack) is around 1300 lbs. My wife's package would be more like 950 lbs. That's a very significant difference and worthy of recognition, in my opinion. By the way, if anyone quotes me as saying my wife's package is 950 lbs, she'll kill me. :>
If we somehow came up with a "Calories Burned" meter, and could measure the energy output and thus the work performed by our horses, I'm quite confident our heavyweight horses would have the higher scores, with all other things being equal. Now, conceivably, a lighter and faster horse could use more energy than a slow heavyweight horse. That's why there is a point advantage given in BC scoring for the faster horse. Then again, physics tells us it's supposed to be easier to go slow, even with higher weights. The universe is fair. Dr Q, who's getting antsy about the impending departure for Robie.