[RC] Did I Understand You Correctly? - Nikki McCormack

I am a little behind, but I wanted to comment my thoughts on this.

Horses are prey animals whose predators are all pretty much smaller than they are. As such, they are driven by a very strong sense of self-preservation and tend to assume anything could be a predator. When we first start training a horse, we use a lot of intimidation to get the response we want. Even round penning and natural training methods use some intimidation to get the horses attention. This does not mean that, once we get past that, the horse does not learn to enjoy their job and their relationship with their rider, even getting to a point where the trust that has developed is enough to get them past most scary things. Regardless, they tend not to challenge us much because of that strong sense of self-preservation. It is safer to go along with our demands. Occasionally, they will encounter something they feel is scarier than our displeasure (a trailer for some horses, as an example) and will then refuse. Do you really thing that, if they felt they could overpower and out-think us, they would ever let us force them into anything? If you look at a horse compared to a mountain lion, the argument of superior size and such simply does not hold. They are smart enough to know that size does not have any bearing on skill, cunning, and weaponry.

My two cents,
Nikki