Re: [RC] Did I Understand You Correctly? - Sisu West Ranch

"...horses did exactly as they please they would still be wild animals.."

For a better look at the relationship of humans and domestic animals and why of all the animals in the world only a handful of species have ever been domesticated read a couple of books by Stephen Budiansky.  The first is "The Covenant of the Wild" the second is "The Nature of Horses"

After you have done so you will understand that our domestic animals have in a real, if not actually reasoned, sense chosen to be domesticated.  Because they are domesticated they achieve a real life advantage.  The result is that their reproductive success is much greater than it would be if they were wild.  The advantages are striking:  Canis Lupis (wolf) is threatened with extinction, but Canis  familiaris (dog) is around in the millions.  Equus caballus przewalskii, is near extinction but Equus caballus (domestic horse)  is doing fine all over the world.

The Judeo-Christian tradition teaches that man has been given dominion over the animals.  We are then charged with being wise stewards.  That is we can use them for our purposes (pleasure, hunting, field work, food, etc) but must treat them humanely and care for them.

This implicit covenant has been good for both humans and animals.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875