[RC] More on Falling and Helmets - Lisa Jordan

Distance is just one component of impact pressure.    Newton was the "The Man" leading to the study of kinetics.  A few of the measurable aspects related to falling from a horse are:
- Forces during aerial phase of the fall
- Trajectory
- Weight and mass depending on what you want to measure
- Velocity
- Momentum (product of mass and velocity)
- Force of gravity
- Area of impact force

Brain injuries can happen, even with the best rated helmets.  When ones head lands (impacts) something hard with velocity it is probable that coup-contra coup will happen.  The  brain inside the skull will rebound from the point of impact to the opposite side of the skull and back.  This motion often causes shearing of some matter and neurons accross the sphenoid bone on the cranial floor.  The bone is shaped like a butterfly with small sharp points in what could be inopportune places when one falls.

If one chooses not to wear a helmet and falls and bangs their head, the impact is taken by the skull which does have some capacity to absorb impact.  When the skull does it's job, it cracks.   I suppose we could measure the density of each of our skulls and give them ratings.

A helmet, depending on it's rating, acts like a slightly more, or much more defensive skull.  The helmet cracks and in doing so absorbs an amount of the impact.

The shape and coverage of the helmet also play a part in protection of certain areas as stated in my previous e-mail.

Science is fun!  Falling is not.:-(

Lisa