[RC] Did I Understand You Correctly? - k s swigart

Cheryly Winter said:

Truce....... On to something else. Truman is not a bad
person, and I am sure in his original post did not mean
it to sound the way people are taking it.

It seems pretty clear that Truman is aware of the way that some people "are
taking" his comment that it is worse for the horse to have died than the child;
however, his response was not "you are taking this the wrong way. That isn't
really what I meant."  His response was, in essence, "I am obligated as an
American to express this viewpoint, and it is inappropriate for you to take me
to task for holding and expressing it even though you consider it to be an
appalling position."

If he didn't mean it the way some people are taking it (i.e. those people who
have the common decency to take him at his word rather than making excuses for
him by saying "I am sure he didn't really mean it."  Personally, I consider it
extremely rude to assume that people don't mean what they say.) and he was
misunderstood, then all he had to do in response was to say, "I spoke without
properly thinking, and I didn't mean that to come out the way it sounded."

Truman is perfectly capable of making excuses for himself if he didn't really
mean it that way.  Since he didn't do so, it is only polite for me to presume
that he really does think that it is better for a child to die in a riding
accident than it is for a horse to.  And I will continue to presume this until
he tells me otherwise himself.  And if he really does think that, then it is
not totally inappropriate for that to color my judgement of his as a person.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  I am still somewhat surprised (although I suppose I shouldn't be) by the
number of people who are sufficiently conceited about their own power that they
think horses have no say in what they do.  Your horse is bigger, stronger, and
faster than you are...he does exactly and only what he damned well pleases.
Horses only comply with our own requests because they are good natured
(granted, they have been genetically selected for this).

What is "irresponsible" with respect to what we ask our horses is when we take
advantage of their good natures to their detriment.  It isn't because they have
no say.  It is because they have all the "say" in the world and comply with our
requests anyway.