RE: [RC] jumping/accidents and horses - Tracey Lomax

Jackie wrote:

>>I posted that accidents do occur; jumping and otherwise.  I was referring, as well as others have to, that it is a highly unusual accident for a horse to have >>broken it's neck at a 2'6" course.

It’s unusual for a horse to break its neck jumping, period, generally they have a much stronger sense of self-preservation than we give them credit for.  Having said that, most of the bad falls I’ve seen have been over little fences, usually because of one of the following:

-          inexperienced rider who unbalances the horse:

-          horse takes the piss over small fences (I used to think that was nonsense til I got a good horse who unpended himself and me over a 2’6” fence because he didn’t try over that height.  Now I don’t jump him over anything under 3 foot unless it has a big filler to make him pay attention

-          young or unbalanced horse.

I once knew an A grade horse who broke its neck on a TROTTING POLE.

Tracey (who likes XC because the horses LOOK at the fences and JUMP them).