From: rnbianchi@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 2:47 PM
Subject: [RC] wet hay, hot horse

I feel as others do that wet feed is a good idea, especially during rides and hot weather.  However, my horses refuse to eat hay after it is wet, even if I put the flake on the ground and pour water over it.  They much prefer sloppy soaked beet pulp (as long as it hasn't been soaked too long in hot weather and allowed to sour) and dry hay.

I have only been doing endurance for three years so my experience is limited, and I ride only to complete, but I do have a horse (full Arab) that poops out if he gets too hot.  He'll step to the side of the trail to sulk.  That is when I get off and walk with him.  Doesn't matter to him if I walk 100 feet or lots of miles he just seems to appreciate the gesture and when I get back on he is happier.  I wondered for a long time if he'd ever be an "endurance" horse.  But, now that he is fitter I have noticed he has less of a problem with getting over heated.  Our other two horses don't seem to mind the heat as much. they sweat like crazy but never quit.

So, is it possible to condition a horse to handle high temperatures (and humidity now that we've moved to Maryland) or do they need a different job?