RE: [RC] [RC] Why do Thoroughbreds need shoes? - Linda Cowles

Then why is Clinton Anderson putting on hind shoes on his Reining
horses so they slide better. His horses are trimmed by Pete
Ramey. He
is also a Barefoot trimmer ....one of the finest. I may
say. I took a
clinic with him ...very informative.

Pete Ramey is a friend and mentor, a great guy, and a fantastic trimmer...
If you're interested in feet, catch one of his clinics, even if you aren't
into this barefoot stuff! He's a great teacher and as entertaining as a
stand-up comedian.

When a group of reining cow horse devotees invited me to come down to Santa
Ynez and do a trimming clinic after a few had been to the Ramey clinic I
hosted in February, I agreed. I'm done several clinics with them so far,
about 30 horses total, and am going back down in August to do a 3rd clinic.

What we do with these reining horses is get them barefoot in front and work
with the local farriers to get the back feet balanced and shod in sliders.
The results have been extremely good, improved balance and traction on the
front feet combine with the improved sensitivity (NOT tenderness, just an
ability to feel their feet) increase their agility; these bare in front
horses use their front feet much better.

We use Old Macs on the front feet for the first few weeks barefoot; they are
the only boots that stay in place for the spinning and fast roll backs.

One of the folks I worked with down there has a relative that's the trainer
to that Derby horse - Brother something - that was trained barefoot... She
says that the only reason he shoes his fast boy is because of the
regulations.

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com