Re: [RC] jumping accidents - horses that like their "jobs" - DVeritas

In a message dated 7/26/2006 8:46:25 AM Mountain Standard Time, jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Every time they retired him, she said, he
would get depressed and go off his feed. They would put him back on jumps -
and he would perk up! So, as he got older they just lowered his fences. I
saw that old, unassuming chestnut gelding prick up his ears and *shine* when
he walked onto the course. He would flag his tail, arch his neck, and look
like the champion of his youth. I never jumped him higher than 3' 6", but he
taught me so much! Not just the mechanics of jumping and how to judge
distance and rate his stride and all that - but about recognizing pure joy
in a horse. I try to encourage that joy in my own horses, no matter what
they do.
Jen,

Thanks for sharing such a refreshing and encouraging tail...ahem....tale.

I particularly liked the "as he got older they just lowered his fences".

I'm going out to lower my (figuratively speaking) "fences.

Have a day to write about,
 Frank