[RC] The Micki Turney resume/ NATRC/Thank you Diane - chrismichele Turney

Laney and for those of you wondering....
At the age of 6 I started riding Arabians in Norco, California where my godparents Wendall and Sherry Putnam (Norco Arabian Association Presidents) put me in my first show ( 4-H and local shows)  and had me ride their Arabians in the Norco Parades...After becoming a vet tech in high school and college ( small and large animal) I went to Cal Poly SLO, applied to a special horse program that  Cal Poly offered and worked for Baywood Park Estates in 1983/84( Bob Battaglia and Randy Shockley) grooming and training horses for halter and sales. Randy has since passed away and Baywood Park went under. I had my first child Ashleigh and was busy raising her. In 1990 I bought Scotchtape (red tape x rizk) and wanted to start endurance riding.. I was very fortunate as the ten girls that I rode with ( Bonnie Wakeham, Kin Oliver, Suzy Kelly etc) made me read every single endurance magazine they owned before I could start training with them. I am so lucky they took me under their wing as th eir experiences taught me how to read my horse and look for signs of distress when things are starting to go bad. I'm not afraid to pull my horse if he is not up for the ride.  From 1991 to 1993 I completed every "training ride" I could get my hands on before I started my first endurance ride.  I  was really big on Long Slow Distance, making sure that I  know my horse in and out.  I completed 255 miles in endurance, over 1,000 miles in "training rides"/ limited distance, 134 miles in ride and tie. However back then there was no mileage given for "training rides". I have crewed for Chris Turney, Chris Knox, Gail Snow, Danny Barger, Jim Howard,  Potato and Cathy Richardson, Melissa and Robert Ribley to name  a few... If you read my post from last week regarding mounted posse you will get even more information on why I elected to change disciplines.  There were two reasons for my gaps in riding 1. I caught a virus that wouldn't go away, hence all the vet secretary experience 2. Lost my horse to my ex who is a mounted police officer for Orange County Sheriffs' Department.  I am now training ( slowly again) our replacement horse RC as Chris and I sold Buddy to a great home after he won the ride and tie championship.  I have conditioned quite a few horses for endurance rides, Tevis, ride and tie.  My heart is in this sport ( for the welfare of the horse).  My name change has not been done in the AERC office, my old married name is Micki Mc Govern or Michele if you are really mad at me.
As far as Laney's post regarding NATRC you are off base.  My intention is not to insult NATRC at all, rather invite them to a different aspect which they may be better suited.  It is a great training ground for a young horse and rider and getting them involved in endurance. I mentioned this in my post last week regarding mounted training and endurance.
I have to agree whole heartedly with Diane Trefethen's post on all points and I thank her for being so "gentle" in her communication, as I am sometimes a "bull in a china shop" when it comes to my opinion.  I am a work in progress...
Micki Mc Govern Turney
# 11756

Chris and Michele Turney