[RC] Drag riders - Marinera

The discussion of drag riders really interested me as I feel ride managers are much to causal in their choice of drag riders. Most don't really have an unlimited choice because some people, in which category I include myself, don't want to drag ride. My medical expertise is very limited. Coming across an injured rider or horse would find me almost totally useless as "what to do."   A drag rider has the most potentially responsible job of the whole ride.  The only ride I am aware of that recognizes this is the Tevis Cup where the "sweep riders" have taken a required course in medical emergencies and who are experienced in radio communication.  They carry necessary first aid and radio equipment with them. Realistically, this is not practical for very many rides.
The last ride I drag rode saw me, the drag rider, being hauled out in a trailer. I was certainly more of a liability than an asset to ride management on that occasion, a medically untrained person on a horse with a problem.  I agree with Angie. Drag riders can be just one more horse  and rider to worry about.  If properly trained they could be invaluable as life savers.  If not, I see them as additional people on the trail that ride management has to be concerned about.   At one ride some riders went off trail. The drag riders unaware of that, came along and pulled all the flagging (as drag riders are usually asked to do) so when the riders finally found their way back to the trail, there were no trail markings.  Assuming all the riders are accounted for when the drag riders come in is not necessarily so.  I admit however, that as a ride entry I  really find security in knowing there is a drag rider behind me.  Julie