[RC] misconceptions on the BH - Cindy Collins

First, and for the thousandth time, I am NOT part of BH ride management.
I did manage it in 1998 and 1999 and realized that it was an overwhelming,
unappreciated money pit :)  And, that if I did manage it, I would NEVER
get to ride it again.  I am a huge fan of the trail and my husband and I
have helped mark sections of the trail on and off since the 1980s.  This
year I only marked 9 miles of the canyons in the first 50 miles of the
trail.  So, I only know where the trail in question went from riders and
ride management.  Also, I was NOT there the day/night of the ride so any
thing I tell you is hearsay and can be taken with that in mind.  I have,
however, talked to many people who rode this year.

Like Joyce, I started the ride when there were NO night markings and
riders didn't expect them.  So, now that we've established that I'm
ancient...

I only want to comment on two things.  First, the tragic deaths of two
horses (I saw that somewhere it became three, which just goes to show how
ridecamp works).  Truman, check your facts before you freak out.  First of
all, one of the best things about the BH is that we had NEVER had a horse
death of the ride in over 35 years.  It is horrible that this year two
horses who participated in the ride died.  If anything contributed, it may
have been the high heat and drought.  It is especially ironic that the
ride was so highly criticized last year for using old time straight checks
and did not have any horse problems.  However, you need to know that I
totally support the vet gates, so don't have a fit.  Neither of the horses
that died were ever on the second half of the trail...the part that was in
question as to mileage and difficulty (due to USFS forcing change).  Let
me say that again, NEITHER horse that died was ever on the second half of
the trail!  I truly believe both deaths were tragic accidents that all the
vets in the world could not have prevented.  As Dave Nicholson said on the
1984 XP, "I didn't learn how to save a dying horse at vet school."  Both
horses seem to have twisted a gut of some kind.  One after it had
successfully completed the 50 mile ride.  The other had mild colic, I
heard, at the 50 mile point and was treated and appeared to look great the
next day-Sunday.  Everyone I spoke with said the horse looked super on
Sunday before he was trailered home.  This horse apparently colic again on
the trailer ride home.  They were not able to save him when they got him
to a vet.  We all know that any time we ride our beloved horses in
endurance, especially a tough, mountain one in high heat, **** CAN happen.
I hate to see people use such a personal tragedy to promote their agendas.

Lastly, as to drag riders:  According to ride management, what they said
at the ride meeting was that there would be a drag rider on a 4 wheeler
for the last section of the trail.  There was...a member of Jeanette
Tolman's family was waiting at Jack Creek w/his 4 wheeler to drive down
behind the last riders.  He was up there on the mountain all night and did
not head out on the final section BECAUSE the last riders were not there
until the next morning at daylight.  NO ONE could have come down over the
trail through Shag Nasty because IT IS ILLEGAL to drive that section of
trail.  Those of us who have marked it all these years, either did it on
foot or on horseback.

I felt these things need to be said.  They are my personal opinion based
up talking with many people who were there and rode the ride.  I have many
years worth of "not finishing" the BH 100 to go along with my 7 buckles.
That's the only reason I feel the right to comment and I appreciate you
listening.  Cindy