[RC] [RC] Calcium Carbonate - sherman

Has your mare been tested for selenium levels? Seems I’ve read lots of material that point to low selenium levels (the endurance horse needing to be in mid-range of “normal”) being a factor in many tie-ups. Just a thought…

Kathy

Jim & Drin Becker wrote:

After another tie up problem with my mare , this one pretty severe , I am looking to add some calcium to her diet just on ride day . I have discussed this with my vet and he feels it is a good idea but since he is not an endurance vet he is not sure of the dosage . Do any of you give your horses limestone at rides ? If so can you tell me the dosage you use . I read in the archives that some riders on hot humid rides give limestone for thumping problems , but no one mentioned how much or how often . Any and all knowledge of this will be appreciated .
Drin Becker
Mtn Region