Re: [RC] Dressage and Endurance//"Cowboy Dressage" - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   Dressage and Endurance//"Cowboy Dressage"
Diane,

You don’t say how you define “loose” or “contact,” and certainly there are an infinite number of “settings” in between extremes of both.

When I do arena work, I warm up and cool down “on the buckle” and train with soft contact (except when I’m practicing balance by posting and cantering on the buckle). The contact cues, plus leg, voice, and seat cues, for rating are honed in the arena where there are fewer distractions—I’m sure you do all of that.

On the trail, we’re on a semi-loose rein that gives my horse a “sweet spot” for having her head but isn’t throwing the reins away. If she jigs or speeds, she looses her sweet spot from the physical displacement/resistance of own shenanigans. When she goes back to the right pace, she gets her comfort zone again. (The pet peeve of the ranch owner/my ex-trainer, w/ 50 years in the saddle, is DQs that ride the trails w/ constant contact/”on the bit”/collected. The poor horses have their heads cranked in for the whole of what should be a relaxing break from the ring. She will stop them and give them a free & firm & friendly lesson on the spot.)

One thing that helped me tremendously was taking some clinics, including a trail clinic, with Karen Parelli Hagen and Jim Hagen in a style of riding that their fans (not them—they’re too modest) call “California Vaquero Style” or “Cowboy Dressage.” It’s a one-and-two handed, semi-Western, looser-than-English style of riding (also uses NH techniques for communication and partnership). Their website is
 http://www.crystal-reflections.com/sites/j_bar_k/home.htm .
They are generous, terrific people and will often set up, or have going. private clinics that aren’t on the calendar. They will also travel and do clinics that you might set up. I set one up for them down here and was overattended.

Beverley