[RC] 100s' days off / tips - smuncy

  About Having to  have take 'alot' of days off to do 100's --
Ok, maybe I fueled this a couple days ago,  When I posted 'time and money post';  ( late again reading emails, just when I thought had caught up ) ---
 but when I posted possible number of days off to do 'major rides'  - 100's - depends on  "where you are located and where they are located'.
 Let me say - if I were considering my first 100  - I would pick one that is 'close' to "home", relativley speaking,- ( if I lived NE, or MW, I would not pick Western States as my first 100 )-
   =  day travel time, day for horse to 'check in' / relax, and day to do  ride, day  to  'relax' after, maybe, depending on distance to travel,  and travel home  - day after.( Personal prefence, ...if possible give horse til at least following day after 100 before trailering distance home ; and allow  a day before ride... granted after 50, or after 2 day 100, etc, I  would  often  travel that pm. If not far to travel, after 100 and your horse is doing well, eats, and drinks well on trailer, then may consider, traveling pm after ride. otherwise wait til next am before heading for home, if can.) You have to know your horse, make adjustments.  But..... to do a 100. unless you pick a ride 'far away' - in a different region, you should not have to take 'alot' of  time off. I was referring to fact to some regions only offer one or two - maybe 3 -  100's;  and they are often about 500+  miles from your home  - in that case - I would take week, but that is me. ( 1 day travel. one  day to let horse 'check in', 'relax', one to ride , not head back til next day - by then - ok 4 days, maybe 5,  might as well, plan week, ok, go back to work. Monday /.. Tues - most likely,, only use 2 -3 / 4  vac days - personnally, found better to take extra day -- just 'in case', had to stay over, plus - I  had  the time  : )    only reason would take 10  - 11 days - if I were  going way out of region, as I am in NE - say to do Shore to Shore  ( 5 day ride ) - Mn. or ride somewhere MW; Now if planning to go cross country - out west - ok, 3 weeks minimum*. )
  tips  for 100  -  practice ride in dark in 'whatever' you plan to use,  - ie, glowsticks, flashlight, head light. nothing.  Get your horse and you accustomed to it / how to use, to best advantage. Some may 'freak out' to flashlight, etc. and if  you use light - like flashlight, headlight - be aware your horse will probably 'follow  the light', learn how to use. You do not want to take him off trail, or over a cliff, as you look , around... Horses do well in dark, ( I preferred some light, I hate to beat up by tree limbs, and my horse liked light the light too ..  He wanted me happy.)
    If can you can get 'crew,' - do so, but plan to take  care of  your horse yourself - you know him. better... they are just to get your 'stuff' from point A to  point B, and give you moral support, help out alittle. have your 'stuff' ready.
   If you can have a riding partner,  do so, or ' hook with someone at the start', and / or talk to people night before, it will be easier if you have someone with you.
       Misery loves company!  : ) Like personalities, ...( at about 65 miles your personality may change for worse, warn your crew !! your riding partner will not have  a choice by then ).. do better, IE,  - if you tend to cuss sometimes, find a similair partner.  ( I could have blistered a sailors ears, at about 60 miles,  my first 100. )
       Drink  -  even if not thristy,and do not just drink water  !!  - use 'sport' drinks, 'diluted'.  and other beverages.  (Full strength 'sports drinks' can cause diarrhea, if drink several of them;  consider diluting them.- this is not the time to find out. )
     Eat - even if usually do not on shorter rides, ( I don't, usually ), but  -used 'boost', "ensure", etc. similair - products ( I may use on 50, sometimes) , and have  on 100;  and soup does well, if have someone to heat water for - like ' instant soups'  at vet check,( especially at about 70 -  80 miles) ;  trail mix, etc.  that  you can eat as  you walk along on trail - if so desire.
   ***   One of  the best ' tips '  I ever got - * was to - ride from vet check to vet check *, forget about overall distance. Think all you have to do is 20 miles, 25, to the first vet check -"piece of cake", ....  then another 15 - 20,... then another 10  - 15,... then another 10 - 15, ...and so on. Hell anyone can ride 10 - 15 miles??? Just an idea,
   In all actuality, if your horse can do a reasonably paced 50,  and has done a couple without problems -( you and him ),  better yet a  few  2 day 100's,  can eat and drink and relax at 'checks'. You do not get 'caught up with front runners' !, you can probably do a 100;  as long as..... the Gods are smiling that day, and there is not a 'rock with your name on it',
      if not try again.                       StephanieM