RE: [RC] Truman's "Just Show Up" Recommendation for 100s - heidi

ELEVEN VACATION DAYS? Where the heck did that come from? Other than for the
Pan Ams where they *made* us show up a week early, I've never taken over one
day off to do a 100. About the only difference in going to a 50 or 100 for me
is that if I'm doing a 100 I mix up 3 or 4 more doses of electrolytes.

I'm with you there, Angie.  Good thing I didn't have a cup of coffee in
my hand when I read that, or I would have dropped it on my keyboard!
Oh, sure, if you're doing something exotic like driving all the way
from the east coast to do Tevis, or from the west coast to do OD, but
not for doing a 100 anywhere even remotely close to home.

I guess I'm one of those "old timers" that somebody said they wanted to
hear from.  I did my first-ever ride--which happened to be a 100--in
1973.  I did it because it was there.  And "there" was Nevada--we lived
in Boise at the time.  The ride was the Virginia City 100.  My sum
knowledge of endurance riding was that I knew two people who had ridden
Tevis.  My parents crewed for me, and we took more time off for that one
than I think I've ever taken for one since--we drove down on Wednesday
so I could pre-ride the last part of the trail on Thursday and rest up
on Friday.  We drove home on Monday.  For most folks, that would be
four days off work.  The VC 100 was a continuous 100-mile loop, with no
checks back into camp, so yes, in that format, a crew is nice--but not
necessary, as RM will usually haul your stuff out to checks for you.  I
finished that 100 at midnight, with a 17-hour riding time.  I was a
whole lot smarter at the end of it than I was at the beginning of it.
And I can still remember the "high" of riding down Ophir Grade in the
dark, knowing that the finish was just ahead, and that in just another
mile or two, I would have "done it."  I can remember leading my horse
down the street from the finish to camp in the dark--and Julie Suhr is
right--I felt ten feet tall.  There is no feeling on earth that equals
it.

I've completed a total of nine 100s (and a couple of 90s, which is kind
of similar), and have a few pulls, too.  So I'm not one of those really
prolific 100-mile riders, but I've done it more than once.  And the
sense of accomplishment is still there.  As I've already said, it would
be offensive to think that my two half-Tevisis should equal a whole
Tevis--I didn't complete, but it isn't the end of the world to not
complete.  "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"  Those
experiences were valuable, too.  This sport isn't about expecting some
kind of a completion exchange rate for each dollar "invested"--it is
about the experience with your horse.  Sometimes you get the thrill of
the "victory" of crossing the line--and other times you just get an
invaluable education.

As for taking time off--if a 100 is very much of a drive away, I might
take Thursday for the drive.  But if it is within 300 miles or so, I'd
just try to leave REALLY early Friday morning, instead of frittering
away part of the morning packing, the way I do when we're leaving for a
50.

When I was young, I could be like Jody and not take care of myself--I'm
not that tough now, and I'd have to plan my own "rider care" a little
better than I used to.  But after my non-riding hiatus, it is still my
dream and my goal to get back to riding 100s.  I'm not quite ready, but
I'm gaining on it.  I've had a few 50s since my return that seemed
"easy" and I've done a 75, so it is within my reach.  It is still the
ultimate endurance experience, in my book--multidays are great, but
they are not the same.

I would have to agree with the sentiment of "just do it."  Just show up.
Pay a little more attention to detail, but I agree with those who say
that if you can do 50s with relative ease, you can complete 100s.  The
pace is less frantic, the mindset is different.  And whoever mentioned
that you conquer 100s by just riding to the next vet check has it
absolutely right.  At the start, I never think about riding 100 miles.
I dial my mind into the next vet check, and I ride to that.  Once I've
achieved that goal, I dial in the next one, and ride to that.  After
all, ANYBODY can ride 10 or 20 miles, right??  So at 90 miles, I am
there thinking, "I can ride 10 miles--I've done THAT lots of times!"

I don't mind rides that come back to camp occasionally--but I don't like
to come back lots and lots of times, or do the same loops over and over
again.  I don't mind doing a loop twice--but more gets pretty boring.
Steph's format at Owyhee is a good one--a 20-mile loop and a 60-mile
loop, where you do the 20, come back to camp, then do the 60 with out
checks, and then finally do the 20 over at the end.  Having something
different between the repeats helps.  And sometimes it is nice in the
dark to have seen the trail in the daylight.  But if you have a good RM
that knows how to mark for night riding, even that isn't a big deal.

Additionally, riding in the dark is a "high" all its own and there is a
bonding with your horse that doesn't occur in the daylight.  The two of
you are alone out there in your own little time bubble--and the rest of
the world goes away.  It is fantastic!

I agree that too many people stress and worry over their readiness.  No,
you are not any more apt to hurt your horse than you are doing 50s.
There can always be that rock or hole with your name on it--but there
can be that just riding out your back gate.  Just ride methodically,
don't rush out of vet checks if you or your horse are still eating or
drinking, and enjoy!

Heidi