[RC] doing 100s - larry Miller

I finally got conned into doing my first 100 after I had been in the sport for over 10 years.  I really had no desire to do a 100 although it never quite left my mind.  I did want to prove to myself that I could do a 100.  A crew and a buddy to ride with certainly made my attempt that much easier.
I had ridden my mare in competitive for at least 2 years before I even attempted 50 endurance.  I would train about 3 times a week with a fast 10, my trail was thru the woods crossed creeks, went thru ravines, and was narrow.  I aimed for 10 mph and usually made it.  If I went to the park, interstate riding, to train, I could make about 12 mph.  I would do at least one 20 mile training ride once a week.  I kept records of pulse recovery so I knew how fast my horse could come down.  I also did sprints on the horse during those training runs.  My mare had had about 3 years of doing 50s before I attempted my first 100.
So I was told that my horse was in great shape, she was.  I probably wasn't but off we went. We left around 6 AM and finished right at dark, about 9 PM.  We were steady all day long.  Having my buddy Julie to ride with me was a really big factor in my ability to finish.  Having a crew was the icing on the cake.  When I staggered to the ground, I thought I would never do another 100.  The very next morning, I was already planning my next!
I have attempted 5 100s and finished 4.  I am glad that I did those 100s too.  I can say that I have done them, but I can also say that am glad not to be attempting anymore.  If one wants to do one, quit worrying about the buts and ifs.  Just go and do it.  Be steady, don't get caught up in the front, take care of yourself as well as take care of your horse.  Remember, 'it ain't over til the fat lady sings!'  Jeanie  PS stubborness and true grit do help one to persevere!