[RC] 100s/planning - Kerry Greear

I think there are some good thoughts coming out of this thread.

#1 Support. Cliques and friendships are natural in any group. At one CTR I attended, I noted new riders wore green ribbons, and there were green ribbons on her horse. That indicated "newbie" status and she was very well treated and encouraged. One person was assigned to make sure she had help. She was welcomed at the meeting, people offered her placed to sit, etc. How could she not feel welcome in that sport?

#2 Encouragement. Not only on the internet, but at the rides themselves. I remember a story recently where I woman doing her first or second 50 had a veteran comment that she was riding a 100 mile horse. It got her in gear to get herself and her horse ready for a 100.

#3 Prestige. We all want to feel good about meeting our goals; and if what works is a buckle that can't be bought, can only be earned, I say that is human nature to want to try! I have learned so much by just watching the veterans and their crews; and most of them are really nice people. How did I know they were "winners", by reading Endurance News!

#4 Commitment. Just as it takes years to get a horse ready for a 100, it takes time to get the rider ready. I'm good at finding and utilizing information, but not everybody is---how can we help people and their horses through the building blocks? There is already a hodge-podge of a curriculum in place on the internet.

#5 Horsemanship. Why is the "natural horsemanship" movement so big? Not only on tv, clinics, books, magazines, movies. It is because people want to bond with their horses and feel like they have a partnership. From Last Chance to the bridge on Tevis I had a horrible sideache and needed to drink lots of electrolytes. I walked while my horse just followed me. 5 riders passed me in this narrow spot because my horse will sidepass and cling to a mountain wall and stand still. Those riders knew my horse would stay out of their way and not bother their horse.

#6 The just wanting to do something that will live in your heart forever. When I read Tevis Cup and Julie's book, I just knew I had to try to be a part of that trail. Then when I went to Auburn and saw the people proudly wearing their buckles, and people talking with awe about the "ones" who had won 20 or more of them! Can I join the elite for the day?????????

Anyway, please don't consider making this sport easier as far as mileage and trails. I think just supporting riders and their horses is the key!!!!!!

Sincerely, Kerry Greear from South Dakota