[RC] [RC] Encouraging more 100 mile starts - Deanna German

Kim Fuess wrote:
Instead of focusing on changing the 100 mile ride structure to accomodate de- elevators, mileage credit, and subsudizing 100 mile entries, ?we can address why some people aren't trying 100s.?
Good? point, Kim.

I've been staying out of this discussion because I don't have that many AERC miles. But I've observed reduced participation or at least lack of growth at the pinnacle of both animal sports I participate in and I think there are some interesting parallels.?

For some people, it's perceived lack of time. (I think that anyone has the time to do anything if they are willing to make -- admittedly sometimes HUGE -- sacrifices.) I think April is right on -- the dishes and house-cleaning can wait!

I might get skewered for saying this next thing, but it's just my personal observation. A large chunk of people want their challenges to be less challenging these days. In the other animal sport I participate in (dog obedience), the equivalent of LD training rides (rally obedience) was introduced last year to hopefully provide a spring board into traditional competition. And you know what? This has generated the same controversy that LD has. It's becoming it's own sport instead of the springboard it was intended to be with participants?clamoring for recognition and participants in the traditional sport alternately wondering what all the fuss is about or thinking that it's all pretty silly, that the real competition doesn't start until the higher levels (longer distances....). Sound familiar?

And, finally, some people just don't have the animal with the capabilities, plain and simple. I think that the typical horse being bred now is less capable than the typical horse of decades past. I look around my boarding barn filled with horses not even in their teens and see soundness issues in nearly every one. Some have been used hard too early, most haven't. Many have temperament, behavior or learning issues too. So when someone says that they don't think they have the horse to do a 100, I believe them.?

So, there are three issues: time, desire and the right animal. It all must come together.

I don't mean to poop in anyone's Easter basket, but a lot of energy could be wasted thinking about how to create interest in 100's when the interest is either there..... or it isn't. As a side note, I love going to rides where a 100 is being held. I've got two close friends who have set 100's as a goal and I've told both that I'll happily crew! I love being up after midnight or setting my alarm so that riders coming in are greeted by awake human beings. I love seeing horses leave at mile 90 with their ears up and trotting out of the vet check. *I'm* happy that CTR and LD's exist. I have the goal of doing more than one 50 mile endurance ride.?

:-)?

Deanna