Re: [RC] What does "bonding" with a horse mean to you? - Stacy Sadar

Some of you may think this is insane with how long I take to buy a new horse.  I'm very particular about the horses I buy and have spent anywhere from 10 months to almost 2 years looking for that "right" horse when I buy one.  And it's not just conformation and what's upstairs that I look for.  I really make sure I have a connection to the horse...that bond you are talking about.  Don't ask me how I know - I just do.  I've walked away from excellent breeding, nice looking horses, athletic, smart, etc. but didn't feel a connection to the horse.   If I'm going to ride this 1000 pound animal who does have a brain of his own out in the woods, away from civilization, I need to make sure we are on the same page.  Having a horse that is bonded to me and looks to me as the protector, trusts me enough to do what I ask is the best horse for me.  With the last one I bought, I had another important factor to consider too.  That the new horse would be good to my 18 year old horse.  The older one has always been picked on by other horses and I didn't want him living with a new horse being picked on the rest of his life.  I connected to this horse in a way that I just "knew" he would be great with me and my older horse.  I was right.  From day one of walking him down the aisle to my old boy and saying, "this is your new brother, be good to him and take care of each other"  They have been best pals and never a moment of picking.  As a matter of fact, the old boy who doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, has made it clear to other horses to stay away from "my brother!"

I'm not saying that I have a knack for this, but all of my animals...horses, cats, etc....I've been able to pick out the ones that will work with the others...and with me.  I guess I just look a little deeper into what I want then just how they look and move.  I just have to plan out my future purchases at least 2 years in advance, since it takes me that long to find the right ones! ;)

Stacy

"Beverley H. Kane, MD" <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it something you recognize in a horse the first time you see him or do you have to play a hunch and hope that it develops?