RE: [RC] [RC] Easyboot Bares and Solstice saddle - Terry Banister

The Bares work well for endurance, but they usually require a tightening adjustment after they have been ridden once. If not re-adjusted, they might come off if you ride fast, through water, and canter uphill. They will be a litttle harder to apply after you re-tighten them, but it is a one-time adjustment. Otherwise, they perform basically the same as the Epics.

If you are new to barefoot, I would suggest using boots on the hind feet, or on all four. The hind feet wear down faster (especially if the horse uses the hind end as it should), and are likely to wear more lopsided, the heels take the pounding when cantering on hard fireroads. Also, it is the hind feet that need the traction (notice which feet slip out from under your horse when riding on pavement). I have done hundreds of endudrance miles with boots on the hind feet only. Last year, because of the Easy Boot contest, I used Epics and Bares on all four feet, and that worked too.

However, the best thing to do is ride your horse barefoot and notice which feet are shorter, lopsiided or bruised compared to the other feet. Then boot YOUR horse accordingly. Watch when your hoof trimmer is there and talk about what THE FEETARE SHOWING - and boot THAT horse accordingly.

Barefoot hooves are a lot shorter looking than shod hooves, so shortness is not necessarily a gauge. Movement is what stimulates hoof growth, and they can only get tough and calloused through usage. Also, shorter hooves don't have excess wall to be chipping off at the quarters. If your horse is moving fine, it helps not to be thinking constantly about their feet, watching every step and every rock, or the paranoia will ruin the ride.
To help the paranoia, there are books and websites by Jaime Jackson, Pete Ramey, Martha Olivo, Dr. H. Strasser that give answers to enough questions to make one feel more confident about taking the "barefoot" steps.

www.tribeequus.com
www.ironfreehoof.com

Terry
Freethefeet!