[RC] [RC] Easyboot Bares - Dream Weaver

I've decided to try leaving my Arabian gelding barefoot and have been waiting
for the Easyboot Bares to become available. I've never tried any type of boot
and was wondering if the horse is able to trot and canter the same as if he had
shoes on. Does wearing the boots change his gaits or movements. Sure wish the
boots would come out soon because his hooves are really getting worn down and
I've just decided to give him a rest till my farrier comes out for a trim.
Want him to give me the OK or not to keep riding him. It's been just great
weather here in Colorado Springs but frozen, hard and dry ground.

Hi Barbara: Well, if your horses feet are getting worn down your farrier won't have much to trim :). You can measure your horses toe length and keep track of that if you are going to be keeping him barefoot, that way you'll know if he is growing long or wearing short and make adjustments accordingly.

As far as the boots affecting how your horse moves -- every horse is different. It'll be a change for your horse and you'll want to make the change gradually so that he is used to the boots before going on any really long rides. Where you might notice a change is if you use four boots, sometimes horses take longer to adjust to having four boots on. You can start out riding with the boots on the fronts for a couple of rides, then introduce the boots to the hind feet as well. I try to use the boots about half the time on conditioning rides, and then ride barefoot the other times so the horses get used to both ways, toughen up their feet, and also are comfortable in the boots since I use them during actual endurance rides. Actually, they are pretty much used enough to the boots now so I have been mostly riding them barefoot, it's just easier this time of year since it's so wet, muddy, snowy.

If you don't want to wait for the Bares, you can get regular Epics which are similar only they have a cable and buckle on the front and a different tread pattern. I don't think the Bares are going to be in until March sometime. I like the Bares for the hind feet, and regular Epics for the fronts, though they both work either way. The Bares are a little lower profile on the hind feet (on the front of the hoof, the bungee doesn't stick out as far as the buckle/cable system does), so better for a horse that travels close behind.

Karen
in NV