[RC] Safety, Vagrants, & Tents - cynthia hamberg

Hello,
As the original poster, and a statistician, I would not call myself
an alarmist.  Linda's post is proof that a loose horse can destroy
a tent..."Juxtaposing" my accident was not what I would call 'over
the top,' but was meant to be a reality check for all of us.  Some of
your ideas to place glow sticks on the tent, etc. (i.e,  to increase visibilty),
make tent camping a lot more viable.  I would still opt for the safety
of my truck cab if I were out of luck in terms of LQ, as I did when I originally
pulled my two-horse Logan...Other points on tent camping: Vagrants
do frequent campgrounds/wooded areas, and one is much safer in locked quarters.
Not only do I ride endurance, but I am a Reserve Officer for the mounted
police department in our area.  I work with a lot of homicide police officers--
I was not being an 'alarmist'--just a 'realist' with backup data.
Thanks for listening,
Cynthia Hamberg (PS)
Diane wrote:
Hi Linda,
  I noted your advice about situating one's tent and think that it makes
eminently
good sense.  Prudence is a desirable commodity and taking precautions that cost
nothing and might save a lot of pain is always prudent.  Nevertheless, the tone
of the original poster was, in my opinion, unduly alarmist and I believe your
experience
of encountering one instance of this problem in "21+ years" demonstrates
my point.
Be prudent, be reasonably careful, but I think juxtaposing "a severely lacerated
liver" and "all snug in your sleeping bag, in your ultra-lite tent"
in the same post is over the top.
Subject: Re: [RC]   Tent Camping & Safety