[RC] 100s alive and well - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: sandy bolinger sbolinge@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is it really necessary to go to such drastic means to get more people
interested in riding 100 miles??? Has there really been that much of a decline
in people doing 100 miles?? Seems to me that the longstanding "special" 100s,
such as big horn, old dominion, tevis, swanton and many more...still are going
strong..Or am I wrong?? How many 100 mile rides are there in the different
regions??? Does someone have the statistics?? Don't you think that alot of
riders that might be riding 100s have turned their energies to some of these
wonderful multiday rides???? I just really don't see what the problem is
here...there are plenty of books...plenty of opportunities to learn how to
condition etc for 100 miles...some riders want to and some don't...yet!  I know
when I was first starting out,,,after finishing 25 miles I would hang out all
day at the finish line and watch the 50s come through and hours later the 100s
and there was no way in my mind that I would or could EVER do either one.  But,
just like other posters have writen..the mental image began to form in the back
of my mind of accomplishing feats of the longer distances...Preparing yourself
and your horse for 100 miles takes a HUGE amount of commitment to the point of
obsession. There is no way I would have ever finished 100 mile ride without
being 100% committed mentally to doing to entire distance. There is a point in
100 mile distance where a lot of times your horse seems to lose all enthusiasm.
If I remember right it happened often around 65 miles..
If the de-elevate idea were to prevail...riders would throw in the towel right
about then...thereby missing out on the very best part of the 100 miles.  That
last 25 miles when your horse gets his enthusiasm back and time stops, and you
and your horse enter another dimension that you have to experience to
understand...and then all the work and time and committment is worth it many
times over. Seems to me 100s are alive and well...need not mess with a truely
good thing!