Re: [RC] 100 Milers - Karla Watson

PLEASE send us your ride story after you do your first 100! Good luck!

------Karla Watson
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:40 AM
Subject: [RC] 100 Milers

I have read with interest the thread on 100-mile rides, since I am going to do my first 100 at 20 Mule Team next month.
While I can't even begin to say why riders do and do not attempt 100-mile rides, I thought I would share my experience.
I had never even heard of endurance before 1997. When I did, 25 miles was an almost unbelieveable distance to ride! I did an LD at Manzanita in 1998, didn't have the slightest idea of what I was doing, but knew I had to take care of my horse - who was well-conditioned. I finished, and I was hooked. That horse was really not suitable for anything other than 25 milers so a few years ago I started looking for another horse.
When I found her, I started conditioning and had only LDs in my sight - after all, 50 miles was an unbelieveable distance!
After a few LDs, 50s didn't seem that out of range. I did a 2-day 35 miles a day at Coso Junction and knew we were both ready for a 50. That was a couple of years ago. Then multidays - riding 2 days or more in a row was again, unbelievable!
I never thought I could do 2 days in a row, let alone 4. I just keep going, didn't think about it and it happened. The same with a 100. A few years ago, it would have seemed unattainable. Now it seems, while certainly a challenge, something we can do. I can't wait - I know it will be hard, just like the 4 days at Death Valley were.
It's funny, but I only remember the good things at DVE - riding all alone on Day 3 going through Death Valley and thinking what it must have been like for the wagon trains and pioneers. Talking to my horse, having great conversations and even singing to her (probably why I was alone!). This is what I'm looking forward to in the 100.
Well, maybe I won't sing because I'll be riding with 3 other riders!

We'll see if after this 100, all I remember are the good things!

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA