[RC] hybrids/horsepower - lgiemza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been lurking for awhile, trying to find out if I'd enjoy endurance riding(what I HAVE found out so far is that I enjoy Ridecamp and the type of people who do endurance riding).  My two cents:  I was the first kid on my block to get a hybrid car--a Toyota Prius, in 2001, the first year they were sold in the U.S. It is five years  and 90.000 miles or so on and I have had no problems with it at all, love it, and consistently get mpg in the mid 40s---it's also very non- polluting, and ,the battery is under warranty for 100,000 miles or 8 years.  Toyota makes good cars and this one is no exception.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  I would not recommend American makes that call themselves "hybrids"....for these, the technology is used just to boost power, not improve mileage very much or pollute less.

On a different but related note, my Arab mare was raised on a Shire breeding farm---the only light horse there---and was trained to pull logs, just like the big boys! Something tells me that this skill of hers may come in handy sooner than I think....(I live in New England and there's plenty of trees when the heating oil runs out....)

regards
Laurie

EarthLink Revolves Around You.