Re: [RC] TB Racing, Soundness, Speed, Hooves - Truman Prevatt

That's pretty difficult to say. There have always been breakdowns. There have been some pretty nice looking and running horses in the past 10 years or so. Cigar and Silver Charm raced for long careers and did quite well. There are a few geldings out there now doing well. The dirt tracks have also gotten more consistently harder over the years. If there are more breakdowns today than 30 years ago (which I don't know if there are any stats that point to that or not) it may have more to do with horses being trained and raced on rock hard dirt tracks today than any other reason.

One interesting study would be to look at the breakdown rate increases of turf horses vs. dirt horses. If the breakdown rage is increasing and if it is breeding they should be similar. If it is the hardness of the dirt tracks it will show up.

Truman

Gloria Adams wrote:

Hi, my 2 cents for what its worth…

There has always been the issue of “they race them too young” by non-horsetrack people (which I agree with, & am one).

However, I think there is */another/* disturbing trend going on in the Thoroughbred &/or racing world (& I am backed up by Penny Cherney, Secretariat’s owner & breeder)…

Soundness/big bone is not being bred for by the TB racing world anymore, only speed.

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics