Re: [RC] Ride Entry - who pays when someone else rides your horse? - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: Ride Entry - who pays when someone else rides your horse?
I have only done 2 Rides, and in both I rode someone else’s horse. I paid for my own entry plus gas, feed, park entry, shoes, and electrolytes. Everyone’s situation is different, but in mine
  • I had been conditioning the person’s horse for several weeks before the Ride. So maybe ad in/my ad.
  • I am an AERC member and wanted to get on the map. (I don’t think people who have 10,000 miles are any prouder than I was the day my first 50 showed up on the AERC website.)
  • I needed the horses’ owners to mentor me thru the ride. I was a “senior junior”
  • I could, by the grace of god/dess, afford it. I would, under some conditions, pay the sponsor’s entry (hint—if anyone out there wants a senior junior...)

I think overall, the hired fun (<---I meant to write “gun”, but I’m going to let that stand) is getting the better deal. She has a day with a magnificent animal that she didn’t have to feed, train, groom, shoe, bathe, muck out, blanket, immunize, worm, vet, and otherwise care for every single day for 5 to 10 years. She only gets the fun part of riding.

But it all comes down to what each party can afford what each thinks is fair. The important thing is to work out whatever flavor of fairness suits the occasion and maintain the friendships.

Beverley