[RC] Reflections - dorothys

A Big Horn weekend to remember and reflect over these past fifteen years. I rode the Big Horn the first year I lived here and have been going every year since when I could. This year was one of the most challenging and memorable.
   Wyoming is very hot and dry this year. The wild flowers where not as pretty as many years past, but the scenery just as spectacular. I have always been in awe of this ride for its beauty and the challenge to horse and rider. I keep going back to see the scenery, meet the people and still see if my old body can do it again. It was difficult this year as the loop from Antelope Butte to Jack Creek ( last vet check) must have been 30 miles or more. It took Emily Mathews and I seven hours to do this loop. I admire the Tolman family and friends who put on this ride and three other rides on in Wyoming. They have so little help to do such a difficult task. Thinking about the volunteers for the Tevis and seeing how few people manage the Big Horn make you realize what a monumental task this ride is for the few people who manage and work it. My thanks and gratitude go out to the Tolman family, their volunteers and vets. Thanks to Lyle Bishoff who stands by this ride every year cares for all our horses.
   I was so sorry to see that many 100 milers did not finish because of time and two were not able get to the last vet check and spent the night on trail. Unless you see this country, experience the difficulty of marking and riding trail in a very remote area with few people to help, you cannot appreciate the challenge and hard work for ride management. I want to thank the Tolman family, veterinarians and all the volunteers for their outstanding job.
   The greatest loss was to have Maureen Jewell loose her wonderful horse Andy after this ride. Maureen is an excellent horse woman and a very unfortunate incident was her loss. A small group of Mountain Region riders support our rides and each other and we are very proud to offer some of the most beautiful rides any where. The Big Horn is really the epitome of endurance; challenging, beautiful and a test of horse and rider alike. To do this ride is to love the country, appreciate a wonderful horse and fellow endurance riders. Dorothy Sue Phillips