[RC] Pink Flamingo Trails - Broken Diamond Ranch

The Pink Flamingo Endurance Ride - July 29 & 30th

The trails are lovely.  There will be 6 different loops so unless something happens we will have three different loops each day.  No repeat loops.

This is a mountain ride and there are mountains in the mountains, so yes, there will be climb.  We couldn't get away from it.  (lol)

The footing is excellent, mostly old reclaimed logging roads with dirt floors.  A short section of gravel road, lots of 2 tracks, and single tracks.  Some brush, some small water crossings, no rivers to forge, no bogs (I hate those!) and a few puddles (since Linda's horse, now nicknamed "Puddles" drained most of them).  There seems to be a different type of trail on each loop.

The trails are not technical but there may be an occasional rock hidden here or there in the tall grass, few holes, a couple low branches, and a few logs you might have to go over but nothing that requires the 'Two Point position'.  Lots, and lots of feed along side of the trails for the ponies.  None of the trails are scary at all!  No deep sand, no cliffs, no drop offs, and no "Man from Snowy River" stuff.

There is plenty of horse water in camp with a beautiful, cold, clear stream running thru the middle of ride camp.  (Bring the fishing poles!  The tiny pan-fries are pretty speedy in the creek but there are a few reservoirs nearby and the Payette River to try your luck).

The temperatures in Boise have been hanging around 100°.  The temperatures at ride camp around 86° but with a little more humidity than Boise, which can make it feel much warmer.  The trails are shaded, for the most part, depending upon the time of day...and this should help keep the horses and riders more comfortable.  (The creek back at camp will cool you down instantly!!)

It is hard to remember to bring a coat when it is 100° and you are sweating profusely while packing your rig, but when the sun goes down in the mountains the temperatures drop quickly (aahhhh...).  Bring a coat and a blanket for your trusty steed, just in case it gets chilly.

Bugs...nobody has asked about bugs.  Make sure you bring fly spray and some 'Off' for yourself.  You are in the mountains and there are some pretty hungry mosquitoes!  The deer flies and mosquitoes haven't been that bad at this ride camp but I have seen a few buzzing around.  (Squash them if you can!!).  A fly sheet and fly mask might keep your pony more comfortable while resting.  (I haven't used one yet while camping/scouting for trail).  You know your horse and what he/she is most comfortable with.

Remember to pack your sense of humor, you might need it when you see (Purple Passion ride manager) Pam Haynes.  Pam is going for the coveted "Best Dressed Pink Flamingo" award.  This should be very, very interesting!!  :-)

There is a restaurant, Cougar Mountain Lodge, on the corner of Hwy 55 & High Valley Road (2 miles from ride camp).  They have ice, ice cream, buffalo burgers and I think they serve breakfast!  I am not sure what their business hours are but I will find out (and warn them their might be some hungry endurance riders heading their way).

Last fuel stops...Horseshoe Bend has a Chevron, if you are coming North on Hwy 55 from Boise.   Coming from the North?  Cascade is the last fuel stop before Smith's Ferry.  There is NO fuel at Smith's Ferry.

The dirt road in to ride camp is a nice logging/recreation road that was just graded and oiled yesterday.  I have heard that 44' gooseneck and beautiful Monaco motor home can make it in with no problem.  There is a good climb right off of Hwy 55 for about a mile then levels off to a more gentle grade to camp.  2 miles on High Valley Road...when you get to the fork in the road, stay right, cross the cattle guard and camp is your left and right.  The way to camp will be marked with signs and pink ribbon.

Hope you can make it,

Kathy Smith wrote:

Is there someone on this Group that can tell me some about the "Pink Flamingo" in/near Smith Ferry Id.

What are the trails like?
Is it a technical trail?
Is there much elevation gain/loss?
How is the footing?
Are there many water crossings?
Is the 50 mile end. going to be the same trail both days?

Thanks,
Kathy Smith