[RC] Rebel and Nicole - Nicole Wiere

I wanted to send out an email thanking all who have expressed their sincere sadness for the loss of my best partner of all time, Rebel.  It is amazing how close we all are in endurance and it is only you (endurance people) who truly know what it is like to loose your riding partner.  I have saved all of your thoughts and emails and wishes for a file that I will keep to look at from time to time.  I plan to make a special scrapbook of all of our photos to remember the good times.  This has been terribly traumatic for me and very hard to believe that he is gone.

The morning of our ride we were supposed to ride from Robinson to Foresthill however due to another person being late we decided to go from Deadwood to Foresthill.  While waiting in Foresthill, Ray Baylie, a fellow endurance rider who I have not seen for quite some time stood by my trailer where Rebel was tied and already saddled and admired him.  He asked me of his breeding again and just said "You sure won't ever find one like him again. He sure is a neat horse - such big bone - just a big guy."  On the way to Deadwood I told Shawn and my mother, Pat Chappell (our driver that day), that I was going to go for it on Tevis.  I said "I certainly have the horse to do it."  "I also plan to get him his 3,000 miles in 2006 since we were so close and I plan to go back to the east coast to the AERC National Championship in Virginia since I enjoyed meeting new friends on the east coast last year (Meg Sleeper and Dave Augustine) and it was so beautiful to see new races." My how your plans change in an instant.

I have 10,000 or close to it miles in this sport and of all the 20+ horses I have competed on he was by far the best.  In April, while cantering through the Square Nail 50 mile ride with Barry Waitte I remember commenting how much fun it is when the horse does it so easily as Rebel and how it would be hard to start all over again.  Until Rebel, I competed in this sport because I enjoyed the horsemanship that I developed and the sense of accomplishment you get from riding many horses many miles.  Rebel due to his natural athletic abilities took me to the International level of riding and winning and top tens and learning to train to be the elite. Now, since I do not have another Rebel nor a horse of age to do the sport for some years I think it is a sign and a reminder for me to get back to the roots of endurance since it will be a long time until I am competitive again.  Although I did not raise Rebel, I rescued him from abuse as a late 8 year old who had done nothing.  I was the only one who ever rode him and he is the only horse I rode the years that I had him.  We were truly a team probably similar to a horse that is raised or "home-grown". Many of you who knew him called him "the big grey horse" and I know you will remember us and it is so special to me that so many of you have shown me your support.

My message is to remember what riding is all about and enjoy the glory while you have it but remember how you got there.

Thank you.

Nicole Chappell Wiere
AERC#2826