Re: [RC] how to handle an IR horse at ride camps? - Sharon Levasseur

Just a quick note... make sure you ask the ride manager if there REALLY are no
stalls available.

I'm managing a new endurance ride on August 12th (Hot Toddy Hustle in Orland,
Maine) and the ride paperwork says no stalls.  But ridecamp is located in a
field next to a boarding facility and I'm sure, in a case like yours, we could
find you either a drylot or a stall.

Sharon Levasseur
www.zegifts.com/HTH/hot-toddy-hustle.htm

Quoting Marta Kozlowska <martank@xxxxxxxxx>:

my mare is insulin resistant and does well, so long as she's not on grass
between april and october. at home she gets turned out in a dry lot w/ hay.
until now the only rides we've done were local ECTRA rides which didn't
require overnight stays. the one ride that required overnight had stalls. i
would like to enter some rides this fall but they all seem to have ride camp
located on a grass pasture or stalls available on first come first serve
basis. i hope that those that offer stalls would be willing to reserve one
for us in light of my mare's condition. but what about when there is no
stalls? has anyone found a way to handle this? i have a muzzle which offers
some protection, but in all honesty i would be worried having her on grass
for more than a couple of hours even while wearing the muzzle. i also
realize i could plug up the muzzle but then mare's not eating at all and
that's not a good situation especially at  a ride.
i'm curious how people handle this.
thanks!
marta