Subject: [Fwd: Re: [RC]   Carbohydrates in Beet Pulp]
From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, July 11, 2006 9:55 am
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Carbohydrates in Beet Pulp
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:46:39 -0700
From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Hi Heidi--
 I would agree with you that the feeding practices for pregnant brood mares would be different than that of an exercising endurance horse. The right tools for the job are always best. And when feeding grain, it's always best to feed only 2-3 lbs at a time, so as not to risk any gastric distress or acidosis as Susan referred to. I have never had a metabolic problem of any kind from feeding grain. The worst problem I've had was a colic form overelectrolyting. That doesn't meant I throw out electrolytes. Horses have been fed grain for centuries, and it is a safe feed when used properly. So is a salt lick or beet pulp or anything else that can still cause a problem if used improperly. I'm getting the impression that some people are afraid to use grain. Overfeeding grain (or anything else, for that matter)--bad. Proper feeding of grain--very useful.
  I'm not advocating feeding carbs at the expense of giving the horse all the other things that are necessary for him to get safely down the trail. You mentioned something regarding how the body uses different fuels differently, and we agree very much here. The feed sources, metabolic use and storage mechanisms are different for fat, carbs and protein. They are not used completely interchangeably, so to mention "calories" in general, as though fat calories are used the same as carb calories or protein calories is in error.  Clearly, the horse needs all three. Whoever can figure out what amounts, at what times, and under what conditions will arguably have the best results in getting the desired performance out of the horse, as long as other parameters are attended to as well. Like hydration, gut motility, etc.,. These parts are all so intimately related. Isn't this fun? I always learn something (or remember something I used to know) from discussions like these. Dr Q

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=