RE: [RC] Beet pulp fed dry - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

*While we're on the subject of beet pulp, and have some experts here:

*Is it a myth that beet pulp can't be fed dry?

*Or is this it a question of how much
*can or can't be be fed dry...

As with any other feed on earth, some horses will do fine no matter how you
feed it, and others won't.  There are some large university studies that fed
beet pulp dry and never saw an increase in colic or 'choke'.  Other people
swear they show a dry beet pulp pellet to a horse, and it'll drop dead
before their very eyes.  I've treated a whole bunch of chokes in horses, and
they were rarely caused by beet pulp, dry or wet.  Pellets, regardless of
their composition, are most likely to cause an obstruction, more so in
horses in need of dentistry, and even more so again in situations where they
otherwise bolt their food.  The very worst chokes to try and undo are chunks
of carrot, because you can't dissolve them and break them down with a ton of
water like you can pellets, and a tough wad of hay can be a real bitch, too.

So, can it be fed dry, sure, sometimes.  Should it?  Well, given a choice, I
much prefer well soaked and sloppy even at home.  It slows them down, gets
more water into them (which I like even in non-endurance horses) and if it
prevents a few oddball chokes as well, great.  At a ride, always always
always feed it sloppy.  In a trailer, if you feed mash in the trailer at
all, always feed it wet and sloppy.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS